Friday, October 22, 2010

mucusitis, morphine and ... teeth!

It has been a full-on week with Emily, she has been up and down, giving us a scare and then a surpise ( as she seems to have been doing lately).
Emily had the rest of her chemo (it had been postponed due to her bowel op) on monday, tues, and then the chemo injection on weds, as well as another nasal gastric tube put down. Wasnt pretty, poor Emi, Im sure I wouldnt like having a tube shoved down my nose into my stomach either!, then a nasty jab in the thigh to finish it off, talk about scream!
Needless to say Emily didnt eat while on chemo, and wasnt all that happy, but still drank well, untill weds afternoon it all went downhill.
Emily started to refuse to drink, and by thursday morning she was so upset, I could see her mouth was sore, she wouldnt even move her tounge or swallow.
Emily has a common side effect of the chemo, mucusitis - where the lining of the mouth, throat, gut and intestine can all be affected, and ulcers form, can be very cruel so I am told.
Emily was beside herself, I think it is the worst I have seen her and it was quite upsetting. Emily was sent for another xray just to check things out, but everything was fine,
So out came the morphine infusion and nasal feeds, and finally she was comfortable.
Yesterday ( friday) things started to look better and the rate of morphine was lowered, as the day went on she got much better, and started eating again!
Emily had so much food I was amazed! I think her operation is making a difference already.
Then I was rubbing Emily's gums and noticed a tooth! yay! finally, her first tooth just stsrting to cut through. And here I was thinking Emily would be one year old and still have no teeth.  Good girl Emily!
(made me wonder tho if the teething contributed to her lousy few days.....but I told her she cant have morphine every time she cuts a tooth, wee madam.)
So this morning they stopped the morphine infusion, Emi is asleep at the mo so will be interesting to see if she still happy and ok to eat when she wakes up.
I am told she probably will get mucusitis again once the effects of the chemo that she has just finished sets in, but at least they can make her comfortable.
Looks like a nice day outside, I wish I could take Emily for a walk, I was hoping I can take her out on her birthday but have been advised probably not, She has to stay in her filtered room... man, think I am gettin cabin fever, they dont call it protective isolation for nothing do they!
daddy's girl

3 comments:

  1. WOW Miss Emily Your such a wee trooper!! Such a brave wee Angel!! I love the pic of you with your Daddy such a precious pic! You can never have to many cuddles!! & I pray you dont get that nasty Mucusitis again You poor wee poppet!
    YAY 1st tooth well done Emily Show us that pearly white :)
    Anna thats sad you most likely wont be able to take Emily out on her Birthday! But Im sure you will make her 1st birthday so special no matter where you guys will be :) Wish we could be there to help celebrate it!

    I think of you guys everyday & im glad to hear Emily is being so brave & strong just like her Mummy & Daddy !
    All our love Karla & Girls xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww you guys are so strong:) and yay for a tooth:)

    ReplyDelete